День Святого Патрика был провозглашён христианским праздником в начале XVII века и отмечается католической церковью, отдельными протестантскими церквями (англиканской, лютеранской, и особенно церковью Ирландии). Этот день символизирует принятие христианства в Ирландии, а также является праздником культурного наследия Ирландии в целом. Торжества в день святого Патрика обычно включают парады и фестивали, исполнение танцев кейли и ношение зелёной одежды или трилистников. Христиане в этот день также посещают церковные службы. В этот день смягчаются ограничения, связанные с постом, и разрешается употребление алкоголя.
День Святого Патрика является государственным праздником в Ирландии, Северной Ирландии, на острове Монтсеррат и в канадской провинции Ньюфаундленд и Лабрадор. В Канаде этот праздник лоббирует фирма Гиннесс. Он также широко отмечается ирландской диаспорой по всему миру, особенно в Великобритании, Канаде, США, Аргентине, Австралии и Новой Зеландии.
С недавнего времени День Святого Патрика празднуется и в России 30 марта.
Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17
March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c.
AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland.
Saint Patrick’s Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early 17th century and is observed by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland), the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Lutheran Church. The day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, and celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general. Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, cèilidhs, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks. Christians also attend church services and historically the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol were lifted for the day, which encouraged and propagated the holiday’s tradition of alcohol consumption.
Saint Patrick’s Day is a public holiday in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador (for provincial government employees), and the British Overseas Territory of Montserrat. It is also widely celebrated by the Irish diaspora around the world, especially in Great Britain, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand.
Saint Patrick’s Day is celebrated in Russia on the 30th of March
Download presentation: Story of Sait Patrick storyofstpatrick.ppt (173 downloads)
Story of Saint Patrick
- St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated each year on March 17 th . In Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is both a holy day and a national holiday. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, as he was the one who brought Christianity to the Irish.
- St. Patrick was born in Wales in 387 A.D. When he was young he was captured by a man know as Niall Naoi nGiallach, who brought him to Ireland and sold him to a farmer called Milchu.
- At the farm young Patrick worked very hard, watching the sheep or pigs. Patrick prayed every night. One night he heard a voice speaking to him. It was God telling him to leave Ireland.
- Patrick travelled to France. It was a very difficult journey, but he survived. Eventually, he returned to Wales. He realised that he wanted to become a priest and needed to study.
- Patrick became a wonderful priest. Pope Celestine was very happy with him. Patrick returned to Ireland with a group of priests. They were going to tell all the Irish pagans about Jesus.
- Irish people did not really want to hear about Jesus, but they were impressed at the way Patrick knew their language, so they let him speak. Patrick picked up a shamrock.
- How many leaves are there? — asked Patrick. They all said three. Then Patrick asked how many seeds were needed to make it. Someone said one. Patrick said this was the same as the Blessed Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. A pagan priest said, I will follow him.
- Patrick stayed in Ireland for sixty years. He travelled to different places spread the word of God. Patrick died on the 17 the March, 493 A.D. , and his life is celebrated on this date throughout the world.
- There is a famous story about St. Patrick, which tells of how he drove snakes out of Ireland and banished them forever. Some people think that this story is really talking about the way St. Patrick managed to tell people about God and stop them becoming pagans.
источники: en.wikipedia.org, ru.wikipedia.org, www.slideshare.net